Top Social

Beauty, Film and Lifestyle Blog

30 Day Hair Growth Challenge

Monday, May 22, 2017

Hello everybody! A little over a month ago I decided to visit the hair salon to fix my roots and sort out my DIY bleach disaster. I didn't want my hair cut - I was too attached to my long, mermaid hair! But after a consultation, my hairdresser and I agreed I should cut it a little bit at the ends to get rid of my damaged ends. She assured me my hair would grow quicker with no split ends and it would look healthier overall. The sound of scissors snipping at my ends made me cringe and seeing my hair locks fall on the floor of the salon was soul crushing. It was a little bit more than I imagined.
I came home pleased with the results. The stylist did a fantastic job and my hair did look healthier, but it felt short to touch and knowing I would be flying to America in a couple of months, I made it my mission to try and achieve long locks once again - the natural way. I didn't want extensions, that was an absolute no, no. So here's every method/product I tested during the 30 days;

Hairburst
After some research, I discovered 'Hairburst.' I had seen them before in Holland and Barrett and was always intrigued, but at a price of £25.00 for a 30 day supply, I never bought into it - until now! According to their website, this is how Hairburst works - 'Hairburst adds all the vital vitamins and nutrients to your diet that your body needs to grow stronger, longer hair. Our unique formula has produced fantastic results for our users, reporting hair that appears healthier, thicker, longer, shinier, more manageable and faster growing as a result of using Hairburst.' Sounds pretty legit, right?
I got the standard 30 day vitamin supply. It contains 60 capsules, so you take two first thing every morning. On day one, I was a little taken aback by the smell. It's hard to describe, but I quickly learnt that the best way to deal with it is just don't smell it! The capsules were also quite big and a few times I did struggle to swallow them down, and there is no worse pain than having a large capsule stuck in your chest! However, Hairburst do offer different methods of taking your vitamins, including a chewable version. I think if I were to try these again I would definitely go for the latter method.

Castor Oil and Coconut Oil Hair Mask
My next method involved one of my favourite things - coconut oil! I have tried coconut oil hair masks before in the past, and it does leave my hair feeling silky soft, but I never knew it would help with hair growth. Saying that, it won't work with coconut alone. I learnt that castor oil is the holy grail to hair growth. It's apparently an old method that has been used by women of all ages all over Asia for decades. I mean, if it works for them, then it should work for me! I found this hair mask recipe on Pinterest - 
The first time I gave this recipe a go, I used every ingredient mentioned. Although it felt like it was effective, I didn't enjoy having the egg in my hair. Eventually I played about with the recipe and made it to suit me. Finally, I used 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, two tablespoons of castor oil and two tablespoons of olive oil. I melted it (as the castor oil and coconut oil are very thick) and then massaged into my scalp. I put a shower cap on and kept the oil in my hair for up to 6 hours. I then washed it out with cold water and shampooed and conditioned as normal. I did this mask 3 times a week for 30 days and I will definitely continue to use this method maybe once a month.

Viviscal Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner
I never used a particular brand of shampoo and conditioner, and usually just opt for anything that has the words 'colour protection' on it. My mum bought me Viviscal Hair Growth shampoo and conditioner from Holland and Barrett for about £10 each. I used both of them every other day for the 30 days (and it lasted!) I kept the shampoo in my hair for a couple of minutes and kept the conditioner in my hair for just under ten minutes. 


The Results
So those are the three main hair growth methods I have been using over the past 30 days! I definetly believe that using all of these methods at once really stimulated my hair growth and I think from the picture below that really shows! I loved all of these methods and I will certainly continue to use them when my hair is feeling a little bit short. 


So, what do you think? Do you have any interesting hair growth methods that I could put to the test?
1 comment on "30 Day Hair Growth Challenge"
  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Auto Post Signature